Thursday, May 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Marshall!

So work is gay. 
I started working at the Concordia Club and after the initial shock of extreme opulence wore off I detected the distinct feeling of old age and decay. The employees are all remarkably young and sexy (for the most part. Some waitresses have chests best described as 'excessively ample'). The average age of club members is 76 when th
ey bring their grandkids. The food is pretty good while the desserts are unbelievable. Concordia subscribes to the same rule of thumb as I do: When it comes to dessert, more Oreos equals more smiles. There was this OD cake. Three layers, quadruple chocolate and frilly as shit. It said 
in excessively frilly handwriting "Happy 93rd Birthday Marshall!" It looked so good and went mostly uneaten. I spoke with some of the 
waitstaff who informed me that the members where dying off at a steadily increasing rate. The only time the club is anywhere near full capacity is "weddings, bar-mitzvahs and brisks". The highlight: meeting the Falkowitzs, the self described "Only Jews at Governor Thornburg's inaugural ball". A distinction of which they a
re both proud and deeply shamed. 
Today, I hit the deck around noon. Earlier maybe. Did some pervy stuff and looked fo
r plane tickets for Spencer. Though he's not definitely coming, I got us the same gig we had last year and have been planning some activities most schoolgirlishly. We have been talking a lot more recently and that has been enjoyable. I think a l0t of people have written us off, but I have a lot of hope for us still. A couple weeks ago he gave me Middlesex and I am about halfway through. I like it and mourn the loss of old-Detroit.We should have just fucking stayed in Boston.
Later, my mom challenged me to a cookoff. I made pizza-toast and she made some kind of potato concoction. She won. I hung out with Marco and his mom and talked city politics for a while. Weird, fun. 
Alexander Crist and me went to the Greek Food Festival at St. Nick's in Oakland. So delicious. It was nice to see people of every color and creed nomming on gyros on a warm spring night. On this trip, I discovered three new Indian restaurants. Also, I introduced Alexander to the Fruitloop. He was appalled and it was crowded.
Came home. Found this picture and laughed and laughed

No comments:

Post a Comment