Saturday, May 2, 2009

Home again

Yesterday, I left Boston and headed south, west. I traveled through much of Massachusetts, slept through Connecticut and a chunk of New York and awoke in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I passed some of the Keystone state's most famous cities (Scranton) and landmarks (Pennsylvania Anthracite Museum).  Eventually, after 9 and a half hours of driving, we reached the glamorous East End of Pittsburgh.  I hugged my father, sized up my brother and ate four packets of Sunkist fruit snacks. I then noticed all the minor changes made by my folks since I had last been home. A new dryer, a new car, a new basketball hoop* and a new coffee table.  Such luxury! We, my dad and my mom and I, ate a delicious dinner and made jokes about everything. 
After I sent a few text messages to Marco, I put on a clean tshirt (for the first time in 2 weeks!) and made my way to Braddoc
k. In the Elk's Lodge, there was a little shindig for Patrick Dowd's campaign. He's running for mayor against Luke Ravenstahl, a typical Pittsburgh douchebag. I'm sure he's earned my vote. After shmoozing with some folk I noticed John Fetterman hulked over in the corner. Starstruck, I went to introduce myself. He was happy to discuss his appearance on Colbert Report, his tattoos and Braddock's shittiness with me, a creepy little kid. He bought me a beer! After drinking with this behemoth of a mayor, I then drove to Greenfield and carted Ricky all over creation. We told the same stories and made the same jokes we have made since 2003 but on the whole, my soul sang. Ricky is going to Put-in-Bay to work for the summer with a bunch of Central/Oakland friends. He lied to my face when asked why he didn't invite me.  

I slept until 6:15, took a shower then watched some the 20th running of the Pittsburgh Marathon...Kenyans! Also, I drove my mom's new maroon Scion. I am the gayest person on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment